white filler image

Who to contact in relation to the care and oversight of children

Concern about the safety of a child

If you believe a child is in immediate danger, call the Police on 111.

Information on how to report other concerns is available on the Oranga Tamariki website.

Complaints about Oranga Tamariki

In the first instance these should be referred to Oranga Tamariki or the provider concerned.

If you are dissatisfied with the result of your initial complaint, you can make a formal complaint to the Ombudsman. You can find more information about making a complaint on the Office of the Ombudsman website.

Historic abuse claims

If you feel you were unjustly treated while in the care of the Child Welfare Division, the Department of Social Welfare, the New Zealand Children and Young Persons Service, or Child, Youth and Family prior to 2008 you can find further information about the Historic Claims process.

Children’s rights

The Children’s Commissioner provides information and advice on children’s rights and guidance on dealing with a range of issues. Information about the Commissioner, children’s rights and advice can be found on the Office of the Children's Commissioner website.

Independent Children’s Monitor Unit

If you want to further information about the programme to establish the Independent Children’s Monitor.

white filler image
Print this page.