Background image

Historic Abuse - Make a claim

It’s important to us that claimants have full details about the claims process. The MSD Historic Claims Business Process and Guidance Handbook provides more detail about the claims process. If you have any questions about your claim, please contact us on 0800 631 127.

If you feel you have been unjustly treated while in the care of the Child Welfare Division, the Department of Social Welfare, the New Zealand Children and Young Persons Service, or Child, Youth and Family please talk to us.

If you have concerns about your time in care with Oranga Tamariki please contact Oranga Tamariki.

Who can make a claim?

You can make a claim of abuse or neglect if you:

  • were in the care, custody, guardianship, or came to the notice of the Child Welfare Division, the Department of Social Welfare, the New Zealand Children and Young Persons Service or Child, Youth and Family before 1 April 2017, and
  • believe you were harmed as a result of abuse or neglect while in care.

How do I start the claim process?

There are several ways you can register your claim with us. Either by:

You can also speak with a lawyer to get their assistance to make a claim. They will be able to let you know if you can get legal aid.

If you have questions about your time in care, please talk with us before you decide if you want to make a claim.

What happens when I make a claim?

When you first contact us, we will go through the claims process and answer any questions you have. We will also help you with support you may need while your claim is happening

Meeting to make a claim

This first discussion is for you to tell the Ministry about your experience and is the same whether you make a claim with the Ministry or through your lawyer.

We’ll listen to you about your experience; usually in person but sometimes by phone or video. Talking about difficult things that have happened in the past can be upsetting so please let us know how we can make that conversation as simple as possible for you.

The meeting will be held at a time and place which works for you and will be respectful of your culture and values. You are welcome to have some support with you. This could be, for example, your partner, friend, family or whānau member, counsellor or lawyer.

We will also give you an idea of how long the claim will take.

Assessing your claim

The assessment confirms your involvement with State care, including if the State was legally responsible for you at the times your claim covers.

As part of this assessment we always review your personal files. A full review of other relevant records is not carried out for every concern you raise; however some concerns may require a more detailed assessment.

Results of the assessment

When the assessment is finished, we will give you general feedback gathered from reviewing your file.

At this meeting we may discuss with you a payment offer.

You can take as long as you need to think about this offer and choose if you want to accept it or not.

You may choose to seek legal advice.

If you accept the offer

If your offer included a payment, we will arrange for payment to be made and close your claim.

An apology

Our Chief Executive may want to apologise to you. We will talk to you about this at the time.

If you don’t accept the offer

If you don’t accept our offer, we will talk to you about what other options are available, including asking for a review of the decision.

We will talk with you about this and how long it may take.

You may also choose to seek legal advice.

Limitation Act

Making a claim through MSD doesn't affect your right to take your case to court. We have also developed a policy with other historic abuse Crown agencies (the Ministry of Education and Oranga Tamariki) to help protect your right to go to court from the effects of the Limitation Act 1950 and the Limitation Act 2010 while you are engaging with MSD's Historic Claims process. This legislation can provide a legal defence to a claim if certain periods of time have passed since the events that the claim is about.

You can stop the counting of time for limitation purposes by filing your claim in Court. However, while you are engaging with MSD's Historic Claims process, our policy means that this time is not counted for the purposes of calculating timeframes under limitation law. This means that you will not be disadvantaged if you try and resolve your claim directly with MSD before filing your claim in Court. If you have any questions about the policy, we recommend that you seek legal advice.

Criminal investigations

If your complaint is about criminal conduct then the Ministry may, after making sure we are legally able to, share information about the alleged offending with the Police. If you would like the Police to investigate what happened to you, we would encourage you to contact them. We will help connect you with someone there you can share your experience with.

What will you do with the information I share with you?

The information you give us is collected and held by the Ministry so we can assess and respond to your claim of abuse while in the care of the state before 1 April 2017. As part of the assessment process we may share your information or make contact with other government agencies or Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) who were involved in your care.

We may also need to share your concerns with Oranga Tamariki or an NGO if your concerns relate to a current staff member employed by one of those organisations. We want to ensure children receiving care in services today are kept safe.

If you have any concerns about your information being shared, for example if you are concerned that this may put you at risk in any way, please let us know so we can talk with you about this and what we can do to address your concerns.

Our Privacy factsheet "Your information is important" provides you with more information about why we collect information and what we will do with it.

You can find our full privacy statement on our website or ask us and we will send a copy to you.

Can I stop my claim at any time?

You can put the assessment of your claim on hold at any time. This means we will not do any further work to progress your claim. This hold can be removed at any point if you change your mind.

The Royal Commission of Inquiry into Abuse in State Care and in the Care of Faith-based Institutions

The Royal Commission is investigating a wide range of issues associated with abuse in care, including both the state and faith-based systems, and has held a number of hearings, with more to come. A key part of the Royal Commission’s work is its investigation into redress from state agencies and faith-based institutions in response to claims of abuse in care.

A State Redress Hearing was held in two sessions (September to November 2020) with evidence being heard from survivors of abuse and witnesses for the Crown. As part of the hearing, the Royal Commission asked us to provide a large number of supporting documents.

The Royal Commission also had a Faith-Based Redress Hearing in late 2020 and early 2021 which focused on the redress processes of the Catholic Church, Anglican Church and the Salvation Army.

The Royal Commission’s Redress Report, He Purapura Ora, he Māra Tipu, was released publicly on 15 December 2021. The report includes findings about previous state and faith-based institutions’ approach to redress and makes 95 wide-ranging recommendations aimed at creating a new redress system.

On 9 August 2022, the Government announced that work was underway on three immediate projects in response to the Royal Commission’s Redress Report. These were rapid payments and a listening service for claimants, and provision to survivors of records of their time in care. The aim of the projects is to improve support for survivors of abuse in care while a new independent redress system is being designed.

The Royal Commission’s Interim Report, which provided a progress report, an analysis of the size of the care cohorts for State and faith-based care, and some interim findings, was released publicly on 16 December 2020.

The Inquiry is looking into how claims are resolved, which is resulting in recommendations for improvements.

You can proceed with a claim against the Ministry while also taking part in the Royal Commission process. You do not have to put your Ministry claim on hold while the Royal Commission is sitting.

Sharing information with the Royal Commission of Inquiry into Abuse in State Care and in the Care of Faith-based Institutions

As part of our commitment to supporting the Royal Commission of Inquiry we are legally required under section 20 of the Inquiries Act 2013 to share information with them when we are asked. To prepare for its hearing on state redress for historic abuse claimants, and for ongoing investigation, the Royal Commission has requested a number of documents from us, some of which may include details about claimants, their claims and settlements. We expect that the Royal Commission will continue to request information for the remainder of their Inquiry, which may continue to include information of this nature.

Protecting your privacy

The Royal Commission shares our commitment to protecting people’s privacy throughout the Inquiry’s proceedings. It has issued a legal order stopping public access to any of these documents without its permission, including any personal information that may be in them. This does not mean the Inquiry will not use this information to do the work required by its Terms of Reference, but if it does it will carefully balance public interest against the protection of an individual’s privacy. We would prefer that personal information is only released with the consent of the individual named. Refer here to view the Royal Commission’s privacy policy.

Q&As on sharing information with the Royal Commission of Inquiry

Q. Can I get hold of any information about me that’s in these documents, and how do I do that?

A. Yes – you have the right under the Privacy Act to see any personal information we hold about you. You cannot get the information from the Royal Commission – however you can make requests under the Privacy Act by getting in touch with the Historic Claims team on 0800 631 127, by email or writing to us at PO Box 1556, Wellington 6140. Requests can also be made through the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, in writing to PO Box 10-094, Wellington 6143, by email or on their website

Q. How do I know that my information will be protected?

A. The Royal Commission shares our commitment to protecting people’s privacy throughout the Inquiry’s proceedings. It has issued a legal order stopping public access to any of these documents without its permission, including any personal information that may be in them.

Q. Why didn’t Historic Claims ask my permission before passing on my information?

A. Government agencies are legally required to pass on any information they hold if asked by the Royal Commission. With the large volume of information requested and the tight timeframes for responding, it was not possible to let individuals know about the request and what information we were passing on.

Q. I work for a non-government organisation. Can I obtain any information about my NGO that’s in these documents?

A. If you work for a non-profit organisation you have the right under the Official Information Act to request any of your information held by government agencies. You can get this information by making an Official Information Act request. You can make a request to us at The request cannot be sent to the Royal Commission.

Q. What types of personal information have been provided to the Royal Commission?

A. Some of the documents may include personal information about claimants, caregivers, staff and others involved in allegations of abuse by the State and subsequent claims processes. As outlined above, steps have been taken to ensure your personal information remains secure.

Q. Do the files include information or allegations about current or former staff or caregivers?

A. As the Royal Commission’s focus is on understanding people's experiences and their interactions with agencies, some information about current or former staff or caregivers is included in the material provided to the Royal Commission. Staff are encouraged to contact the MSD Response team at if they have any questions.

We are committed to getting this right

We want to make sure that anyone who makes a claim with us gets the best possible service.

We will be continuously looking at how we can make the process work better for everyone.

Email us if you have any thoughts or suggestions on how we can improve things.

Background image


Register your claim of abuse in State care

Rapid Payments Fact Sheet

Mar 2023

Handbook - MSD Historic Claims Business Process and Guidance

Mar 2023

Historic Claims Practice Guidance

Nov 2021

Historic Claims privacy fact sheet - Your information is important

Dec 2022

Privacy Statement Historic Claims

Jul 2020

Q&A: Transferring responsibility of claims from Oranga Tamariki to MSD’s Historic Claims team

Oct 2019

Print this page.