We help New Zealanders to help themselves to be safe, strong and independent.

We’re working towards this through providing:

  • care and protection of vulnerable children and young people
  • employment, income support and superannuation services
  • funding to community service providers
  • social policy and advice to government
  • student allowances and loans
  • social housing assessments.

What's new

27 May 2016

A message from Brendan Boyle, Ministry of Social Development Chief Executive, about the sentencing of Russell Tully.

27 May 2016

This Four-Year Plan sets out the Ministry’s strategic direction for the next four years.

27 May 2016

Budget 2016 has provided funding for Family Violence Response Coordination (FVRC).

26 May 2016

Work and Income will be able to help eligible applicants with a one-off payment of up to $5000 to relocate from Auckland from 20 June 2016.

19 May 2016

Minister Anne Tolley has announced that $7.3 million a year will be reprioritised to support more vulnerable children and their families through intensive home visitation programme Family Start.

19 May 2016

The Government has announced funding for 3000 emergency housing places per year, allocating $41.1 million over the next 4 years for both contracted emergency housing providers and a new emergency housing grant which will be available from September 2016.

Print this page.