[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Help from ACC for someone who is injured - A Guide for Carers

If someone close to you is injured, there are supports and services available. Make sure they get treatment as soon as possible. Hospital staff or their health professional will work out what treatment they need and will contact ACC about cover for their injury. The injured person will get a letter from ACC confirming the injury and inviting them to contact ACC for any further help. If the impact of the injury is complex or continuous, ACC will assign a staff member to help with further supports and services they might need.

ACC can only help a person with injury-related needs. To make sure it is an injury which is causing the need for help, ACC uses independent assessors.

ACC pays weekly compensation for injured people who cannot work and helps people to access the support and services they need by contributing to the cost of them. Here are some of the supports and services ACC can help cover.

Financial support

  • Weekly payments for loss of earnings if the person you support is unable to work because of their injury
  • Lump sum compensation for people who have permanent impairments because of their injury
  • Weekly compensation for loss of potential earnings for someone injured before they turned 18

Treatment and rehabilitation

  • Doctors’ visits
  • Consultations with medical specialists, such as orthopaedic surgeons
  • Treatment from allied health professionals, such as physiotherapists or rehabilitation professionals such as language therapists
  • Surgery
  • Other medical appointments and costs

ACC staff can also arrange a rehabilitation plan to help the person you support get back to work.

Support at home

  • Help with personal care tasks like showering, eating and getting out of bed
  • Help with household tasks like cleaning and laundry
  • Childcare, if the person you care for is unable to do this

Support at school

A teacher aide in the classroom can help with learning for people who have challenges because of an injury.


  • Mobility supports like wheelchairs and postural support aids like standing frames
  • Equipment to help with lifting
  • Bedding systems that help prevent bedsores
  • Environmental controls like automatic door openers
  • Artificial limbs
  • Aids to help with eating, showering and going to the toilet
  • Communications devices such as voice recognition software
  • Low vision aids such as screen reading software

Home modifications

  • Equipment such as handrails, access ramps, and ceiling-mounted hoists
  • Structural modifications to help the person you support to be mobile and independent in their home. Examples include widened halls and doorways or a wet area bathroom


  • Help with getting to and from appointments for treatment and rehabilitation
  • Help with transportation if the person’s injury prevents them from travelling to work or accessing the community

For more information about what’s available from ACC, visit acc.co.nz and choose I’m injured.

Previous page | Next page