At some point in their lives, most New Zealanders will have contact with us. We work closely with partner agencies and service providers to help people get the support they need, when they need it, no matter where it has to be found.
Our role and functions:
- the statutory care and protection of children and young people, youth justice services and adoption services
- funding for community service providers
- employment support
- income support including payments, entitlements and New Zealand Superannuation
- social housing assessments and services
- access to concessions and discounts for senior citizens, families and low-income New Zealanders
- student allowances and student loans
- information, knowledge and support for families and communities
- campaigns that challenge antisocial attitudes and behaviour
- services to uphold the integrity of the welfare system and minimise the debt levels of the people we work with
- leadership across the social sector.
The Ministry leads or makes a contribution to the Government’s Better Public Services results to:
- Reduce long-term welfare dependency
- Support vulnerable children
- Boost skills and employment
- Reduce crime
- Improve interaction with Government.