Our Ministry is all about helping to build successful individuals, and in turn building strong, healthy families and communities.
It’s a big job - we’re tackling some of the big issues in society, like family violence and youth offending.
We’re working towards this through providing:
- care and protection of vulnerable children and young people
- employment, income support and superannuation services
- funding to community service providers
- social policy and advice to government
- student allowances and loans
- social housing assessments.
Our work touches the lives of more than one million New Zealanders. In 2010 – 2011 we:
- provided services and assistance to more than 1.1 million New Zealanders and 110,000 New Zealand families.
- took around 255,000 calls - more than 13 million calls a year
- have 44 Child, Youth and Family sites, 15 office sub locations, and 80 Family Homes
- have 570,711 SuperGold Card holders, 1,338 SuperGold Card partners representing 5,625 business outlets
- processed 240,049 Student Loan applications and 143,464 Student Allowance applications.
This is not work we do alone. We work closely with other government agencies, non-government organisations, advisory and industry groups, and communities and iwi. Together we aim to make a positive and lasting difference in the lives of New Zealanders.