At some point in their lives, most New Zealanders will have contact with us. We work closely with partner agencies and service providers to help people get the support they need, when they need it, no matter where it has to be found.
We’re responsible for:
- the statutory care and protection of children and young people, youth justice services, adoption services and funding to community service providers
- the delivery of employment and income support services and New Zealand Superannuation
- the administration of New Zealand’s international welfare portability arrangements
- the provision of student allowances and student loans
- the access to affordable health care for older people, families and lower income New Zealanders
- a benefit system that has integrity and that minimises the debt levels of our clients
- accessible services to rural clients
- the leadership and co-ordination of social and support
- services, and funding to community service providers
- access to a range of concessions and discounts.
Every year we determine strategic priorities to focus our work on making a difference in the lives of New Zealanders. Our priorities are to:
- Reduce Long-term Welfare Dependency
- Boosting Skills and Employment
- Supporting Vulnerable Children
- Reducing Crime
- Improving Interaction with Government.