Our Ministry is all about helping to build successful individuals, and in turn building strong, healthy families and communities.
It’s a big job - we’re tackling some of the big issues in society, like family violence and youth offending.
We’re working towards this through providing:
- care and protection of vulnerable children and young people
- employment, income support and superannuation services
- funding to community service providers
- social policy and advice to government
- student allowances and loans
- social housing assessments.
This is not work we do alone. We work closely with other government agencies, non-government organisations, advisory and industry groups, and communities and iwi. Together we aim to make a positive and lasting difference in the lives of New Zealanders.
Statement of Intent 2014–2018
This Statement of Intent sets out the Ministry of Social Development’s strategic intentions over the next four years. It outlines our key priorities to help New Zealanders help themselves to be safe, strong and independent.
The Statement of Intent is published in accordance with section 39 of the Public Finance Act 1989.