Young professionals making coffee.

MSD services transcript


PRESENTER to camera (signing) against black background PRESENTER

Hello. My name is [name]. Most deaf people are independent. We like to be in charge of our own lives as much as we can. But everyone needs assistance sometimes. There is one government department whose job it is to assist people when they need help. It is called MSD – the Ministry of Social Development. There are several different parts of MSD.

As PRESENTER lists the agencies their logos appear on either side of her/him.

Work and Income helps people with benefits and finding jobs. CYF is there for young people and children. StudyLink is for people wanting to study. ODI is for people with disabilities.

There is an Office for Senior Citizens, and MYD is about teenagers. In all parts of MSD we are constantly trying to improve the way we connect to our clients. If you let us know that you want an NZSL Interpreter when you come in, we will book one for you and pay for it.

CUTAWAY – DEAF PERSON AND INTERPRETER AT MSD OFFICE Still shots of a deaf person and interpreter at MSD office


MSD also funds other projects for the deaf community, including sign language DVDs such as “Definitely Working” and “The UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilties" Let’s have a look at what we do…

Help with studying

StudyLink logo and icon comes full screen then fades back to black.

StudyLink helps students get the support they are entitled to so they can successfully complete their tertiary studies. The two main forms of financial support we are responsible for are Student Allowances and Student Loans.

Captions: Student Allowances Student Loans “Student Allowances” is highlighted

A Student Allowance is a weekly payment to help with living costs while you study full-time. You don't have to pay this back. Apply for your Student Allowance well before your course starts. And apply early, even if you're still deciding what you're going to study. The easiest way to apply for a Student Allowance is online at

Split screen at bottom shows the link to: and cursor clicking on it.

Here you will also find tools and calculators that will assist you to work out what you are entitled to.

Caption: “Student Loans” is highlighted

A Student Loan can help to finance your study. It's made up of three parts - compulsory fees, course-related costs and living costs. You have to pay a Student Loan back. If you’re studying part time you may still be able to get some parts of the Student Loan. The easiest way to apply for a Student Loan is also to go online to The tools and calculators will help you to work out what you may need to borrow.

Split screen at bottom shows and someone using calculators.

Remember, you will need to pay back each loan that you take out so only borrow what you need. There are a number of other ways that we can help with costs while you study, or if you are on a study break and can’t find work. For more information on any of these please check out our website:

Most StudyLink services can be accessed online. You can apply or re-apply online for your Student Allowance or Student Loan. You can also use MyStudyLink.

Split screen at bottom show MyStudyLink and someone following their application.

This is an online tool that allows you to check the status of your applications, see your Student Loan balance, view and update your details and apply for Student Loan course-related costs.

Use our online Ask a Question (FAQ) service to ask for more information if you're unable to find what you're looking for on our website. Our website contains a lot of information to help you if you are thinking about study, already in study or finishing study. Captions and logos (build and hold while topic is discussed):

Contact us
General fax: 0800 88 33 88
Freephone: 0800 88 99 00

To get in touch with us, you can visit our website and email us using the Ask a Question (FAQs) service We also have a Deaf Link freefax: 0800 621 621 or a general fax number: 0800 88 33 88

You can ask someone to help call our freephone number: 0800 88 99 00
You can also visit us at one of our StudyLink Outreach offices.

Keeping families safe and strong 

Child, Youth and Family logo and icon comes full screen then fades back to black.

Presenter signs to camera PRESENTER Child, Youth and Family cares about children and families, and we work with them and others in the community to help them be safe, strong and thrive. We help families get the support they need to care for their children. Our aim is always to work with them so they can provide a safe and loving home for their children.

Vertical split screen shows still shots of families and social workers as appropriate through this sequence.

When a child can't live at home because it's not safe, we find other family members or caregivers for them to live with. At any time we have around 5,000 children in care. Around half of these are living with extended whānau. Many of them will return home, while others will stay permanently with their caregiver or extended family.

We are always looking for people who want to provide loving homes to children needing care. Please let us know if you are interested in becoming a caregiver - we have lots information to help you understand how it all works.

Vertical split screen shows still shots of these brochures.

We get lots of calls from people who are worried about a child being hurt or at risk. We want to know so we can find out what's going on, help the family, and make sure the child is safe. In many cases, the family just needs some support. For others, our social workers help the family work out the problems and find a solution.

If you're worried about a child, or want to know more about how we can help, you can call us 24/7 via the NZ Relay Service.

Split screen drama - deaf person using relay service in dramatised emergency.

We help young people who offend take responsibility for what they've done, and make the changes they need to get their lives back on track. We do this by working with the young person, the police and others in the community. The youth justice family group conference is at the heart of this process. This is where the young person hears how their crime has affected their victim, and with the help of their family they make a plan that everyone has to agree on. This plan includes actions that will help them address the reasons behind their offending, and the things they need to do put things right.

Vertical split screen shows still shots of FGCs as appropriate.

We connect families through adoption. Sometimes helping adults who want to find out about their birth parents, or by finding the right family for a child whose parents are considering adoption. As part of our effort to find permanent, loving homes for children in care who can't go back to their families, our adoption and care staff work closely together, and sometimes people looking to adopt choose to be a foster parent instead.

Vertical split screen shows still shots of these brochures. Presenter to camera full screen.

We have lots of brochures which give more information about the things we do and how we can help. You can pick these up from one of our site offices, or ask our contact centre to send you information. If you'd like to know more about being a caregiver, or any of our services, you can email us or check out our website

Captions and logos (build and hold):

Contact us:
Free phone 0508 FAMILY or 0508 326459 (8am - 5pm)
In an emergency use the NZ Relay Service (24/7)
Fax: 0-9-914 1211


This is because the responses that may be needed can be immediately discussed with the caller. If you are unable to use the NZ Relay Service, the other ways to make contact are :
Fax: 0-9-914 1211

You can also find out more about the Services of Child, Youth and Family by checking out

Financial Assistance

Work and Income logo and icon comes full screen then fades back to black.


MSD helps over one million people a year by providing a range of financial support. Whether you are a 16 year old who can't get on with their parents, looking for work, have a disability or are unwell, are a sole parent, a recently retired person or you need extra help while you are working, we can help.

The type of assistance includes: benefits, accommodation supplement, and a Disability Allowance.

Disability Allowance - a weekly payment for people who have regular, ongoing costs because of a disability, such as visits to the doctor or hospital, medicines, extra clothing or travel, hearing aid batteries and fax paper. To know more about what you might be entitled to, get in touch with us. There is a list of different ways to do this at the end of this section.

CAPTION: What we need to know

When you contact the team you will need to let us know:

Your name, date of birth, address and client number if you have one, to help us ensure we are speaking with the right person, What information or service you are calling about or what you'd like help with If you are wanting an appointment and whether or not an interpreter is required, What the appointment is about, so we can ensure you will be seeing the right person.

How you want us to respond to you, e.g. a return fax number.

CAPTION: Understanding documentation.

To get a benefit you will need to fill in the right application forms.

To get a form either: download one from our forms and brochures page on our internet site.

Shot of forms and brochures page on internet fills up half the screen while PRESENTER continues to sign.

Contact us and we will send you the right form or pick a form up from your nearest service centre.

Shot of forms and brochures fill up half the screen while PRESENTER continues to sign.

When applying for help you will need to bring some information with you such as proof of your identification, bank account details, Inland Revenue number, pay slips and proof of housing costs.

Shot of relevant forms of ID fill up half the screen while PRESENTER continues to sign.

This is so we can correctly assess what you may be entitled to and be sure we are paying it into the right bank account.

There is a list of what you need to bring on the application forms and on our web site.

It is important that you bring everything, that way we can move things along faster. If there is anything on the list you don't think you have access to, or if you are not sure about what to bring, please contact us.

CAPTION: Rights and responsibilities

We want to make sure you get the best possible service when you deal with us. There is a guide on our website about what you can expect from us and what we expect from you.

It also tells you what to do if you are not happy with a decision and wish to have the decision reviewed.

Or if you are unhappy about the service you have received and want to complain about it.

Captions and logos (build and hold while topic is discussed):

Contact us on:
Work and Income web site:
Relay TTY - 0800 111 113
Text message - 029-286 7170
Deaf fax - 0800 621 621
Email -

Here is how you can get in touch with us:

You can check out the Work and Income web site:
You can use the Relay service TTY: 0800 111 113
You can send us a text message to: 029-286 7170
Or use the Deaf fax: 0800 621 621
Or Email us:

Help with working

Work and Income logo and icon comes full screen then fades back to black. PRESENTER (SIGNS TO CAMERA).

Work and Income is not just about paying benefits. It is also there to support you to work. We can help you if you are looking for a job by searching through the vacancies on our job search database.

Split screen shows job database.

If you are between jobs we can help with transition support we can help you make a CV to show employers.

Split screen shows CV.

We can help you develop skills through training and other options. When you get an interview, we can also help you by booking interpreters. In all this we don’t just work on our own – we also refer you to organizations like Deaf Aotearoa NZ and Workbridge who provide specific support in finding or supporting you in a job.
And our employment co-ordinators can support you plan your job search. When you want to talk about finding work, we need to know:

Your Skills
Your work history
Your references

When attending an appointment with us please let us know in advance if you require an interpreter.

Split screen shows interview with Work and Income using an interpreter.

We start with YOU – by finding out as much as we can about you, what you are good at, and what you want to do.

Here’s how to get in touch with us:
You can check out the Work and Income web site:
You can use the Relay service TTY – 0800 111 113
You can send us a text message to 029-286 7170
Or use the Deaf fax: 0800 621 621
Or Email us:

Captions and logos (build and hold while topic is discussed):

Contact us: Work and Income web site:
Relay TTY – 0800 111 113
Text message – 029-286 7170
Deaf fax – 0800 621 621
Email –



Whether you’re studying, working, looking for work, supporting a family or just need some extra help, MSD is here to help get in touch with us.

Young professionals making coffee.
Print this page.