Boy at home with family

Government agencies involved in social housing

Government agencies involved in housing

MSD logo

Ministry of Social Development

Works with clients, housing providers and other social service providers

The Ministry of Social Development (MSD):

  • works with people who need help with housing and social support
  • develops initiatives and support to achieve better outcomes for people with complex issues and housing needs
  • manages the Social Housing Register of applications
  • contracts housing tenancies by paying the Income-Related Rent Subsidy (IRRS) to registered community housing providers
  • develops current and future plans on where to contract tenancies to inform investment decisions
  • work with other agencies, providers and the housing sector to increase places for housing tenancies.

HNZ logo

Housing New Zealand

Works with current and prospective public housing tenants, and government agencies.

Housing New Zealand is New Zealand’s largest public housing provider. It provides housing to people who are on the MSD Housing Register and manages those tenancies. It has several major social housing developments underway. Housing New Zealand provides housing for around 1,500 Community Housing Groups. It also manages a range of financial products to help first home buyers into their first home.

MBIE logo

Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment (MBIE)

Works with registered and potential housing providers, and tenants.

MBIE runs the Community Housing Regulatory Authority (CHRA) to approve, register and monitor community housing providers. Community housing providers registered with CHRA are eligible for the Income-Related Rent Subsidy. MBIE also offers advice to tenants and landlords to resolve tenancy issues.


Within MBIE, the KiwiBuild Unit works with iwi, councils and the private sector to deliver 100,000 quality, affordable homes to first home buyers over the next decade. The KiwiBuild work programme includes four key areas:

  • undertaking major urban redevelopment projects
  • purchasing or underwriting new affordable homes off the plans
  • purchasing and converting existing Crown land and purchasing additional land from the private market
  • and procuring KiwiBuild dwellings through existing Government-led housing initiatives.

TPK logo

Te Puni Kokiri

Works with iwi, hapū and whānau Māori, and Māori housing and social service providers.

Te Puni Kokiri leads the development of Māori housing and co-ordinates Māori housing policy across government. It administers the Māori Housing Network to support iwi, hapū and whānau Māori to achieve their housing aspirations.