Group board game

Care and extra financial support

Depending on your current situation, you may require support either in the form of financial assistance or in-home care. This section will assist you in finding the services to best support your continued personal safety, quality of life and access to reliable help if you need it.

Personal safety

There is assistance available to make sure you're safe.

  • Financial assistance related to essential home telephone costs
  • Financial assistance related to medical alarm rental and monitoring
  • Elder abuse and neglect prevention services
  • Keeping safe from scams, cons and rip-offs

Help with housing

For assistance related to your household:

  • Help with living costs
  • Temporary additional support
  • Accommodation supplement
  • Local Government rates rebate
  • Special Needs Grant
  • Advance payment
  • Help with Social Housing
  • Retirement home and assisted living help

Health related assistance

You may qualify for financial assistance related to medical care, including information on subsidy cards

  • General assistance
  • Community Services Card
  • Pharmaceutical Subsidy Card
  • Disability Allowance
  • Medical alarms (rental and monitoring)
  • High Use Health Card
  • Hearing aids
  • Home help

Information for caregivers

It’s important to know that you have support available if you:

  • care for someone over the age of 65
  • care for your grandchildren full-time
  • have other children in your full-time care.

Special Needs Grant

You may be able to get a Special Needs Grant to help you meet your urgent payment deadlines.

Funeral Grant

You may be offered a Funeral Grant if you are responsible for paying the funeral costs of someone close to you. There is no time limit on when you can apply for this assistance.

Group board game


Related brochures on the Work and Income website.

How Can We Help You brochures

Related links

Print this page.