Cape Reinga

Support following 14 November earthquakes

Support available to individuals and businesses while you manage the impact of the earthquakes

0800 Government Helpline

You can call the Government Helpline on 0800 779 997 from 7am - 9pm, seven days a week if you:

  • would like assistance
  • are struggling to support yourself, or your family
  • would like more information about how we can help.

Even if you don’t think you’d qualify, please call us because there are lots of ways we may be able to help, and we can point you in the right direction based on your situation.

Help available for individuals

Extra financial support has been made available for people.

Help with somewhere to stay after the 14 November 2016 earthquake

After the earthquake, you may need help to find somewhere to stay. We can help in different ways depending on how long after the event you need our help.

Currently only applies to people who were living in Hurunui, Kaikoura and Marlborough (eg Seddon and Ward).

Help available for businesses and self-employed or sole traders

The Government has announced a wage subsidy package as an initial step to help businesses and self-employed or sole traders in and around Kaikoura. The package will assist those companies most seriously disrupted by the earthquakes to retain their staff while the district recovers.

Rural Assistance Payments Earthquake - Farmers

Information about financial and other assistance you and your family may qualify for if you’ve been affected by this earthquake.

There is a range of financial assistance available through Work and Income for people (farming and non-farming) whose incomes have been affected by the earthquake.