Two girls eating oranges.


What we do

The Ministry of Social Development manages applications for social housing along with the social housing register. It also is the sole purchaser of social housing tenancies through the payment of income-related rent subsidies to social housing providers.

Housing initiatives

MSD has led and continues to lead a number of initiatives to assist those with housing needs.

Find out more about the programmes we're leading

Information for housing providers

To receive the Government’s income-related rent subsidy, community housing providers must first be registered with the Community Housing Regulatory Authority (CHRA).

Information for people looking for housing assistance

For assistance with your housing needs call:

  • Work and Income on 0800 559 009, or
  • Senior Services on 0800 552 002 if you are over 65

Tenants should contact their landlord for anything related to the property they live in or about their tenancy. For state housing tenants this is Housing New Zealand.

Enquiries regarding the Government’s social housing changes can also be emailed to:

Social housing reform programme

Moving housing assessment functions to the Ministry and extending the income-related rent subsidy to more providers is part of a wider programme of reform to increase the diversity of social housing in New Zealand, to ensure there is housing for people most in need for as long as they need it.